Monday, December 10, 2007

Asians

Yep. It's sad to think that there are stereotypes of every single race out there. When thinking of Asians, many people think of karate. Thai Chi. Squinty eyes and oh, they must be really good at math and love to draw.
I think it's awful. But I'm not going to lie and say that I've never had a stereotype of a group of people before. When I transferred to UNT as a sophomore, I had an asian roommate. She was nice, but we never really got along. I got frustrated with the way she lived, and although I wanted to warm up to her, certain things about her (that I will NOT mention on here.. too much information) really got to me.
When she moved in, I expected her to be really smart, all about school, love to draw, and I figured she had really good grades. Well, I was pretty wrong. Actually, I couldn't have been MORE wrong. The girl NEVER went to class. Hated drawing. Couldn't understand math. Had serious issues with getting up for the day BEFORE 5pm, and wanted to be a theater make-up artist. And by the way, she only lasted one semester @ UNT before realizing that college wasn't for her.
Sadly, our world almost functions around stereotypes. I think that if more students got into classes like this one, maybe they'd think twice. Or three times. Whatever it takes to end it all.

No comments: