Monday, December 10, 2007

Obesity in the media

This is a tough subject. I've been wanting to discuss it for SUCH a long time, and more than anything, before I go off on my soap box, I think it's important to mention that not all fat people are dumb, and not all obese people chose to be that way.
I think the media has almost condemned fat people and has given them absolutely no chance of ever being given any attention.. and whatever attention they get is negative.
I got an advertisement in the mail the other day from Lane Bryant, and they are selling candies and chocolate as a bonus to their plus size clothing. Do all plus size women just LOVE to eat?
No.
But if you go in that store looking for some workout wear, good luck, because you'll walk away empty handed. God forbid a plus size woman be looking for something to workout in. Because we all know that if you're overweight, things will never be as good as they are if you're skinny in beautiful.
I'm not going to say it's healthy. But what about the rest of us who are plus size and trying to take care of our bodies and make a change for our HEALTH? Not for the media. So go ahead. Sell the candies with the fat jeans, because the longer plus size women stay heavy, the more business that store gets.
Am I the only one who thinks this is just a little bias?
It's not like Abercrombie sells candy bars with their low rise jeans...

No comments: